Monday 7 April 2014

Assessment with Juniors

There is one thing I didn't anticipate when I came to the Junior syndicate. That was how very different assessment would be. Some aspects are the same such as looking at a writing sample or completing a running record. The differences I found were my analysis of the data I'm recording. After teaching Year 5 for six years I instinctively knew where my kids were: their stages, where they fit on the writing matrix etc. Now I feel really unsure. Have I made the right choice? Is this child really a 1A or are they actually a 1P. I'm getting better at evaluating some data but moderation is definitely something I will need to do a lot this year.
The other thing that I'm finding tricky is the amount of verbal testing that needs to happen. With the senior kids you could give them a test, mark it and see where each child fit. You can't do that with 6 year olds. My maths testing has taken me weeks to complete and to analyse. Same goes for reading, because giving a class of six year olds independent tasks at the beginning of the year is just not going to work.
So now my task is to work on my time management in order to keep up with the assessment that I need to do. Up wards and onwards, have writing to mark.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting thoughts Ksenia. A big change for sure! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete